Student Records Policy

Annual Notification
Directory Information
Disclosure of Educational Records
Fees for Copies of Records
Procedure for Grade Changes
Procedure to Inspect Educational Records
Right of Wisconsin Lutheran to Refuse Access
Refusal to Provide Copies
Record of Request for Disclosure
Types, Locations, and Custodians of Educational Records

Annual Notification

You will be notified of your Family Education and Privacy Act (FERPA) rights annually by publication in the Student Handbook.


The following are terms necessary for discussing Wisconsin Lutheran's policy on student records:

any person who is attending or has attended Wisconsin Lutheran
Educational Records:
any record (in handwriting, print, tape, film or other medium) maintained by Wisconsin Lutheran or its agent, which is directly related to a student, except:

  1. a personal record kept by a staff member, if it is kept in the personal possession of the person who made the record, and information contained in the record has never been revealed to any other person except his/her temporary substitute;

  2. an employment record of an individual whose employment is not contingent on the fact that he/she is a student, provided that the record is used only in relation to the individual's employment;

  3. any record maintained by any type of security unit if the record is maintained solely for law enforcement purposes, is revealed only to law enforcement agencies of the same jurisdiction, and the security unit is without access to educational records maintained by the college;

  4. records maintained by any health care office or division of Student Affairs if the records are used only for treatment of a student and made available only to those persons providing the treatment;

  5. an alumni record which contains information about a student after he/she is no longer attending Wisconsin Lutheran, and the record does not relate to the person as a student.

Staff Member:
any full time faculty member; any member of the teaching staff; any member of the administrative staff
College official:
a person who is employed by Wisconsin Lutheran in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position; a person elected to the Board of Regents; a person, such as an attorney or auditor, employed by or under contract with Wisconsin Lutheran to perform a special task

Directory Information

Wisconsin Lutheran designates the following items as directory information: student name, address, telephone number, date and place of birth, major field of study, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletics teams, dates of attendance, degrees and awards received, most recent previous college attended, and photograph. Wisconsin Lutheran may disclose any of those items without prior written consent, unless notified in writing within five days of the opening of any given semester or summer session.

Disclosure of Educational Records

Wisconsin Lutheran will disclose information from your educational records only with your written consent except:

  1. to college officials who have a legitimate interest in the records. A college official has a legitimate interest if the official is:

    1. performing a task that is specified in his/her position description or by a contract agreement;
    2. performing a task related to your education;
    3. performing a task related to your discipline;
    4. providing a service or benefit related to you or your family, such as health care, counseling, job placement, or financial aid;

  2. with your written consent to officials of another college, upon request, in which you seek or intend to enroll;

  3. to certain officials of the U.S. Department of Education, the Comptroller General, and the state and local education authorities, if connected with certain state or federally supported education programs;

  4. in connection with your request for or receipt of financial aid, as necessary to determine eligibility, amount or conditions of the financial aid, or to enforce the terms and conditions of the aid;

  5. if required by a state law adopted before November 19, 1974, requiring disclosure;

  6. to organizations conducting certain studies for or on behalf of Wisconsin Lutheran;

  7. to accredited organizations to carry out their functions;

  8. to your parents who claim you as a dependent for income tax purposes;

  9. to comply with a judicial order or a lawfully issued subpoena;

  10. to appropriate parties in a health or safety emergency.

Fees for Copies of Records

The fee for copies will be $1.00 per page plus postage if mailing is required.

Procedure for Grade Changes

You may, at any time, consult the instructor about the grades you receive for the work you have done. However, when the final grade assigned in a course is contested, then the following course of action must be followed. This action must be initiated no later than the calendar date fixed for the removal of the "I" (incomplete) grades of the semester or summer session in which the grade was assigned.

  1. You will first consult with the instructor to determine the reasons for the grade. If there are circumstances that make this step impossible, then you should consult with the instructor's division chair. If the instructor is the division chair, you should consult with the Academic Dean.

  2. When you are not satisfied with the reasons given by the instructor, then you must present your case, in writing, to the instructor's division chair. Supporting documentation should include individual grades, course syllabus, grading policy, originals of any graded work, and a copy of your final exam. These should be obtained from the faculty member by the division chair if not in your possession.

  3. If, after examining your request and consulting with the instructor, the division chair finds no grounds for a change in grade, he or she will, within 30 days, inform you in writing that no further investigation or action will be taken. At this point you may appeal to the Academic Dean, who will decide if there is sufficient cause for an appeal. If the division chair determines that the request for changing the final course grade has sufficient justification, the division chair shall request that the instructor change the grade. If the instructor refuses, the division chair shall refer the matter to the Academic Dean.

  4. If the Academic Dean determines that there is sufficient cause for an appeal, he will instruct the Academic Affairs Committee to review the case. Consistent with college grievance procedures (Faculty Handbook 4.4.3), you have the right to appeal decisions to the Academic Affairs Committee. Every effort will be made to maintain strict confidentiality.

  5. The Academic Affairs Committee may proceed from written evidence. It may also consult you and/or your instructor in its review. Both you and your instructor have the right to provide input to the committee for review. The committee also has the right to inquire about grading practices from other students who took the course at the same time. You and/or your instructor may bring your own witnesses in support of your case.

  6. After completing its review, the Academic Affairs Committee will decide either:

    1. the grade assigned will stand; or
    2. the grade will be changed to reflect the conclusion the committee has arrived at in its investigation.

  7. If the Academic Affairs Committee recommends a change in grade, the instructor will be asked to make the change. If the instructor refuses, the Academic Dean shall make the change with the provision that the instructor can provide a dissenting opinion as part of the permanent record of the Academic Affairs Committee. Decisions of the Academic Affairs Committee are final.

Procedure to Inspect Educational Records

You may inspect and review your educational records upon request. You should submit to the Registrar a written request which identifies as precisely as possible the record or records you wish to inspect. The Registrar will access the record and notify you. Access must be given in 45 days or less from the receipt of the request.

When a record contains information about more than one student, you may inspect and review only the records which relate to you.

Right of Wisconsin Lutheran to Refuse Access

Wisconsin Lutheran reserves the right to refuse to permit you to inspect the following records:

  1. the financial statement of your parents;

  2. letters and statements of recommendation for which you have waived your right of access, or which were placed in file before January 1, 1975;

  3. records connected with an application to attend Wisconsin Lutheran if that application was denied;

  4. those records which are excluded from the FERPA definition of educational records.

Refusal to Provide Copies

Wisconsin Lutheran reserves the right to deny transcripts or copies of records not required to be made available by the FERPA in any of the following situations:

  1. You live within commuting distance of Wisconsin Lutheran.
  2. You have an unpaid financial obligation to Wisconsin Lutheran.
  3. There is an unresolved disciplinary action against you.

Record of Request for Disclosure

Wisconsin Lutheran maintains a record of all requests for and/or disclosure of information from your educational records. The record indicates the name of the party making the request, any additional party to whom it may be disclosed, and the legitimate interest the party had in requesting or obtaining the information. The record may be reviewed by you or your parents.

Types, Locations, and Custodians of Educational Records

The following is a list of the types of records that Wisconsin Lutheran maintains, their locations, and their custodians.

Admissions records:
held in the Registrar's Office by the Registrar

Cumulative academic records
(current and former students and 5 years after graduation or withdrawal):
held in the Registrar's Office by the Registrar

Health records:
found in Dr. Niedfeldt's office in the REX and held by the Dean of Students

Financial records:
held in the Business Office by the Director of Fiscal Affairs

Progress records:
held in the office of either the Academic Dean or the specific instructor

Disciplinary records:
held by the Dean of Students in the Student Affairs Office

Occasional records
(students' educational records not included above, i.e., minutes of faculty committee meetings, copies of correspondence in offices not listed above, etc.):
if such records are desired, the appropriate official will collect such records, direct you to their location, or otherwise make them available for inspection and review